Africa is huge!
The World's Second Largest Continent
- Over 11.6 million square miles
- Equals 22.3% of the world's land
- Second largest continent - only Asia is larger
- It can hold the continental USA, Europe, China, India, Agrentina, and New Zealand... and have room for more!
- Size: North - South: 4970 miles. East - West: 4700 miles
The Children are the Future of Africa!
- About 800 million people, 12.9% of the world's population
- More than 3,500 ethnic groups
- Over 2,110 languages spoken - although only 10 languages are spoken by more than a million people. 30.5% of all the world's languages are spoken in Africa.
- 69 people per square mile
- Birthrate is 38 per thousand, almost 4 times that of Europe
- Annual population increases 2.4% per year. Projected population in 2025 is 1.3 billion people
The People of Africa are Beautiful!
- 52 Countries
- Most of today's African nations gained their independence from colonial rule in the 1960s. By the end of the 1970s, almost all of Africa was independent.
- 84 cities have over 1 million people - 4 cities have over 10 million
A Woman Praising God
- AIDS and HIV - of the 33.4 million people infected, 22.5 million live in sub-Sahara Africa
- In 1998, of the 5.8 million people infected worldwide, 4 million were Africans - of which 1.7 million were African children & teenagers
- Since 1990, 17 countries have been deeply impacted by war
- 9 of the 10 poorest countries on earth are found in Africa
A Muslim Girl
- Christian - 48.37%, Muslim - 41.32%, Traditional - 8.74%
- 17,737 foreign Christian missionaries serving in Africa
- 3,126 African Christian missionaries serving outside of Africa
- Annual Growth Rate of Evangelical Christians in Africa is 4.6%