Joy in the Harvestis a Christian organization. Specifically, it is an organization that is participating in the "Great Commission" of Jesus Christ to "go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you." (The Bible, Matthew 18:19-20).
Christians try to follow Christ by obeying his teachings and being loyal to his purposes and methods. Joy in the Harvest is, at its core, a group of Christians who have come together to serve Christ by obeying his instructions and reaching out to people in His love. Our faith is therefore based in both creed and deed. We have an understanding as to what the Bible teaches and we live our lives in service to Christ and the world full of people He loves. Joy in the Harvest has a special focus on giving witness and service to people living in Africa. In order to make it both understandable and clear, what we believe, Joy in the Harvest has adopted a Statement of Faith which outlines the content of our beliefs. Not everything we believe is given in this one short statement. But it does reflect our core understanding of who Christ is and other essential teachings.
Women Studying the Bible
Here is our Statement of Faith:
- We believe the Bible to be the inspired, the only infallible, authoritative Word of God.
- We believe in one God, eternally existent, revealed in Scripture and in history as the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
- We believe in the deity of Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious death on the cross for sinners, in His bodily resurrection, and in His ascension into Heaven, and in His promised future personal return in power and glory.
- We believe that all persons are spiritually lost in sin and that Christ is the one and only Savior capable of redeeming sinful persons and granting eternal life in Heaven.
- We believe that every redeemed believer is to be obedient to Christ's teachings and commands. We believe the Holy Spirit uses believers' obedience to proclaim Christ's Gospel, to entreat sinners to personally receive and appropriate His grace through faith, at which time the Holy Spirit indwells the new believer.
- We believe in the future resurrection of all persons. We believe that the unredeemed will be raised to an existence of separation from God and the redeemed to eternal life with God.
- We believe in the spiritual unity and equality of all believers across racial, gender, class, and cultural differences. We believe the Church is the body of all believers with Christ as the head.
We have also adopted a motto that we feel reflects our motivation and the purpose, passion, and prayer of our hearts. Our motto is:
...so they may know Jesus...